For safety reasons on Ryanair flights we require an able bodied person aged 16 and over to accompany a reduced mobility passenger who is not self-reliant.
The following information regarding air passenger self-reliance is set out by the UK Department for Transport - Access to Air Travel for Disabled People: Code of Practice (July 2008) and in the Guidelines of the European Commission on the application of Regulation EC 1107/2006 (2012).
Each passenger must be self-reliant by reference to all of the categories below. If not, then he/she must travel with an able-bodied accompanying adult aged 16 and over who is capable of providing the assistance required. Otherwise, the passenger will be denied boarding.
- Passengers must be able to fasten and unfasten their seatbelt when instructed to do so by crew;
- Passengers must be able to retrieve and fit a lifejacket unaided when instructed to do so by crew;
- Passengers must be able to don an oxygen mask unaided when instructed to do so by crew;
- Passengers must be able to understand the safety briefing and any advice and instructions given by the crew in an emergency situation.
We also require passengers who need assistance in any of the following areas to travel with a personal assistant. Failure to do so will lead to denial of boarding if we reasonably believe that the passengers’ carriage may pose a risk to safety.
- Feeding (passengers must be able to feed themselves unaided);
- Toileting (passengers must be able to use to the toilet facilities unaided);
- Medicating (passenger must be capable of administering their own medicines and medical procedures).
Each able bodied accompanying adult cannot assist more than one reduced mobility passenger and must purchase the prevailing adult fare. Where a reduced mobility passenger is travelling with an accompanying adult, we will do our best to ensure the accompanying passenger is seated next to them.
In order for an airport to provide pre-booked special assistance, passengers must present at the special assistance desk at least 2 hours before their flight departure.
Passengers with pre-booked assistance requirements should arrive at the boarding gate at least 30 minutes prior to the flight departure.